Farm Fresh Food in the Catskills
In the heart of the rural Catskills where farmlands, cows and crops command the landscape, the concept of farm fresh food has a very literal meaning. There’s no middle man between farms and restaurants as local farmers often hand-deliver their meats, cheeses and produce to eateries where they will be served to customers on the same day. Add to this popular new craft beverage ventures, and it’s no surprise that the food and restaurant culture of the Catskills has become a big draw for visitors to the area in recent years. The press have taken notice too. Many of the area’s exciting restaurants and taprooms have received recognition on a national level. Conde Nast Traveller calls Catskills “New York’s New Culinary Retreat.”
Intrigued? Here’s a selection of some of the finest farm-to-table restaurants in the Catskills.
- Table on Ten (Bloomville, NY) – Known for their wood-fired pizza.
- Lucky Dog Farm & Café (Hamden NY) – Utilizing fresh, local and organic ingredients, many of which come from their own Lucky Dog Farm.
- Brushland Eating House Bovina, NY) – Hearty farm-to-table classics with seasonal produce and local wine and ale. Brushland Eating House recently hosted a four-day pop-up restaurant at Colette’s in Paris, France.
- The Tulip and the Rose (Franklin, NY) – Flavorsome, traditional dishes using fresh, local ingredients.
- Awestruck Ciders (Sidney, NY) – Handcrafted hard cider.
- Wayside Cider (Andes, NY) – Fine handmade mountain ciders made with apples from Catskills orchards.
- The Heron Restaurant (Narrowsburg, NY) – Stylish, intimate restaurant serving regionally sourced New American fare, brunch & cocktails.
- The Tavern at The Arnold House (Livingston Manor, NY) – Cozy pub-like atmosphere and a standout menu that utilizes ingredients including trout straight from the Beaverkill River.
- Dancing Cat Saloon (Bethel, NY) – Fine dining with locally sourced food and handmade spirits.
- The Local Table and Tap (Kauneonga Lake, NY) – An artfully prepared menu that reflects the bounty of the area with locally sourced ingredients.
- Peekamoose Restaurant & Taproom (Big Indian, NY) – Upscale American fare made with locally sourced ingredients & served in a restored farmhouse.
- Phoenicia Diner (Phoenicia, NY) – Classic American comfort food with some a modern twist and focus on local ingredients.
- Catskill Rose Lodging & Dining (Mt. Tremper, NY) – Seasonally-driven, mostly locally-sourced with harvest from kitchen garden.
- Garden Cafe (Woodstock, NY) – Pure, organic, vegan food with locally produced ingredients.
- Global Palate (West Park, NY) – An international restaurant focusing on local, sustainable ingredients.
- Kingston Indian Restaurant (Kingston, NY) – Family-owned restaurant serving traditional Indian dishes with only the finest locally grown organic ingredients.
- Main Course Market Place (New Paltz, NY) – Innovative regional cuisine as part of the sustainable food movement.
- Meredith’s Bread, Inc. (Kingston, NY) – Mixed, baked and packaged by hand using local and regional ingredients.
- Oriole 9 (Woodstock, NY) – A locally inspired menu with fresh ingredients from the garden at Woodstock Day School.
- Tavern 214 (Phoenicia, NY) – A seasonal menu that reflects a strong farm-to-table philosophy.
- Zephyr (Pine Hill, NY) – A restaurant focused on serving the freshest local sustainable farm-to-table foods that have been grown naturally in the Catskills.
Photo credit: Christian Harder