Golf in the Mountains
The Catskills are home to dozens of stunning, serene golf courses. On these quiet greens with minimal hassle or wait, you can truly escape your worries and focus on perfecting your putt. With panoramic mountain views and lush, rolling terrain, it is a golfer’s dream come true.
Take a look at the golf courses in Delaware, Otsego, Sullivan, and Ulster Counties. Visit one or try a bunch. It’s time to plan your next golf outing.
- College Golf Course at Delhi (85 Scotch Mountain Road, Delhi, NY 13753, 607-746-4653) Premier 18-hole public course in classic 1960’s design with challenging, undulating greens in a beautiful mountain setting. The course is a training ground for the students of the nationally recognized golf programs at SUNY Delhi. Features: driving range, practice green, pro shop, café, leagues, tournaments, championships.
- French Woods Golf & Country Club (17740 E State Highway 97, Hancock, NY 13783, 607-637-1800) Complete 18-hole public course with challenging fairways, water hazards and sand traps in a picturesque setting. Features: clubhouse, pro shop, private dining room, tournaments.
- Hanah Mountain Resort & Country Club (576 West Hubbell Hill Road, Margaretville, NY 12455, 845-586-4849) 19 holes on a challenging, well-groomed course at a beautiful mountain country resort. A selection of golf packages available with meals and all the resort amenities including pool, sauna, restaurant, and more.
- Hardwood Hills Golf Course (11160 State Highway 8, Masonville, NY 13804, 607-467-1031) Challenging 18-hole course in a gorgeous mountain setting. Tournaments, clubhouse with food and spirits.
- Ouleout Creek Golf (13501 State Highway 357, North Franklin, NY 13775,607-829-2100)18-hole public course with creeks, ponds and dog legs for experts and beginners alike in a fun, relaxed atmosphere.
- Scott’s Family Resort Golf Course (159 Golf Course Road, Deposit, NY 13754, 607-467-3094) Two 9-hole public courses: Main Course and Executive Course. Fantastic scenery. Practice putting green and pitch & putt course. Free play for resorts guests.
- Shephard Hills Golf Club (562 Shephard Hill Road, Roxbury, NY 12474, 607-326-7121) 9-hole public course on challenging terrain with spectacular mountain view. Clubhouse and pro shop. Rentals, lessons and tournaments.
- Stamford Golf Club (Taylor Road, Stamford, NY 12167, 607-652-7398) 18-hole course on rolling terrain with undulating greens, appealing to both experts and high handicappers. Pro shop, clubhouse, driving range, practice putting green, private lessons.
Photo: Hanah Mountain Resort & Country Club, Margaretville, NY
- Leatherstocking Golf Course (60 Lake Street, Cooperstown, NY, 13326, 607-544-2546) One of the East’s most scenic and challenging resort golf courses, Leatherstocking offers a premier golfing experience in one of the country’s most picturesque natural settings. Designed in 1909 by Devereux Emmet, the course features a natural contour terrain that sweeps along the western shoreline of Lake Otsego, and offers gorgeous views from varying elevations. With two great finishing holes – #17 Par 3 playing up to 195 yards over water and #18 Par 5 with an island tee and the fairway along the lake – the course produces scores that accurately reflect your level of play. It also offers lovely, manicured scenery that inspires the senses while relaxing the mind.
- Colonial Ridge Golf Course (195 Bateman Road, Laurens, NY, 13796, 607-263-5291) Located in the heart of beautiful central New York a short, picturesque ride from Cooperstown, and it’s just one mile from Gilbert Lake State Park. Come enjoy one of the few 18-hole public golf courses in Otsego County and indulge in spectacular views as you make your way around this challenging course.
- Crestview Heights Golf Club (169 Forest Lane, West Oneonta, NY, 13861, 607-267-4862) The Crestview Heights golf course has been totally re-imagined, and offers both the professional and casual golfer a strikingly beautiful landscape, with waterfalls and push-mowed greens. And, of course, the 19th hole has its own unique charm with upper and lower patio dining. Crestview Heights is open 7 days a week with tee times beginning at 7:00am. The Riverstone Restaurant opens for lunch at 11:00am and offers inside or patio dining and a full service bar.
- Meadow Links Golf Course (476 County Highway 27, Richfield Springs, NY, 13439, 315-858-1646) A scenic and challenging 18-hole executive-length golf course set in the hills above historic Otsego Lake about 8 miles from Cooperstown. Facilities include a natural grass tee driving range, practice greens, clubhouse and pro shop and riding cart, pull cart and club rentals. The course also has a golf professional on staff, offering lessons, clinics and friendly advice. Adjacent to the course is an events pavilion and sand volleyball court. There are tournaments, clinics, leagues and events, starting in the spring and extending into the autumn.
- Oneonta Country Club (9 Country Club Drive, Oneonta, NY, 13820, 607-432-9074) Situated amidst the hills of the Susquehanna River valley, the Oneonta Country Club is an excellent Championship Golf Course that has been an Upstate NY experience for 100 years. Originally established in 1913, the Club offers golfers a wide variety of terrain: beautifully sculpted greens guarded by water, woods, and sand. With a full 18 holes, the golf course provides a wonderful experience for all players from novice to expert. Golfers can also enjoy a wonderful meal at the Roundhouse Pub & Grill.
- Otsego Golf Club (144 Pro Shop Drive, Springfield Center, NY, 13468, 607-547-9290) Built in 1894 on the shores of Otsego Lake just nine miles from Cooperstown, Otsego Golf Club is one of America’s oldest courses. The challenging 9-hole, par 35 links-style course has a rating of 67.8 for 18 holes. Lunch and dinner served Monday through Saturday (including a prix fixe dinner on Saturday evenings) and Sunday brunches in the summer months on The Porch overlooking the 9th green. Regulation-length nine hole layout with blue & white tees for eighteen holes.
- Red Pines Golf Course (580 County Highway 20, Edmeston, NY, 13335, 607-965-6714) Just a short drive from Cooperstown, Red Pines Golf Course is a scenic course in the Central Leatherstocking Region, just a short drive from Cooperstown.
- Stonegate Golf Course (500 County Highway 19, Summit Lake Road, West Winfield, NY, 13491, 315-855-4389) As challenging as it is beautiful, the Stonegate is an 18-hole golf course complete with clubhouse, various golf leagues and plenty of golf outings available. Located a short 25-minute drive from Cooperstown across rolling hills, Stonegate overlooks the scenic Unadilla Valley. With 200 ft. of elevation change through its 6000 yards, par 71, this 18-hole course is fun for all golfers.
Photo: Otsego Golf Club, Springfield Center, NY
- Fallsview Golf Course at Honor’s Haven (1195 Arrowhead Road, Ellenville, NY 12428, 845-210-3106) Golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones, Sr. 9 holes, par 35 course with a driving range, dress code, golf school, pro shop and lessons.
- Lochmor Gof Course (Loch Sheldrake-Hurleyville Road, Loch Sheldrake, NY 12759, 845-434-1257) A par 71, 6550 yard, 18 hole championship golf course.
- Monster Golf Club at the Concord Resort (84 Chalet Road, Kiamesha Lake, NY 12751, 845-794-9700) The 18 hole par 72 Monster Golf Course, with a world famous layout, was voted by Golf Digest as one of America’s 100 golf courses. There are five sets of tees, ranging from 5,200 yards to 7,600 yards. Riding carts, driving range, club rentals, lessons, dress code, pro shop, snack bar, golf school.
- Sullivan County Golf & Country Club (2514 State Route 52, Liberty, NY 12754, 845-747-4337) 189 acres of picturesque golf
- Tarry Brae Golf Course (387 Pleasant Valley Road, South Fallsburg, NY 12779, 845-434-2620) Par 72, 18 hole championship course designed by William Mitchell. Challenging mountain course with tree lined fairways and many scenic holes.
- Tennanah Lake Golf & Tennis Club (100 Fairway View Drive, Roscoe, NY 12776, 888-561-3935) 18-hole championship golf course. Beautifully maintained, challenging par 72 course with a 50-mile 180-degree panoramic view of Catskill Mountains. Golf lessons, practice greens, driving range, complete Pro Shop. 24-room inn, 40-seat restaurant and bar, 30-seat outdoor dining deck.
- Twin Village Golf Course (144 Rockland Road, Roscoe, NY 12776, 607-498-5829) An 18-hole course with a clubhouse.
- Villa Roma Resort (356 Villa Roma Road, Callicoon, NY 12723, 845-887-4880) The par 71, 6,514 yard course is a perfect challenge for the expert and the 6,200 to 6,350 yard course is well-matched for beginners, women and juniors. The best fairways and greens in the region.
Photo: Fallsview Golf Course at Honor’s Haven, Ellenville, NY
- Alapaha Golf Links (180 Sawkill Road, Kingston, NY 12401, 845-331-2334) An executive, nine-hole par-30 links-style golf course that challenges golfers with sand bunkers and two ponds.
- Apple Greens Golf Course (161 South Street, Highland, NY 12528, 845-883-5500) 27-hole public championship golf course. Driving range, scenic views, restaurant on premises.
- Ascot Park Golf Center (163 Esopus Avenue, Kingston, NY 12401, 845-339-6395) Driving range, chipping range, putting green, miniature golf, golf professional, lessons and parties.
- Mohonk Golf Course (1000 Mountain Rest Road, New Paltz, NY 12561, 800-772-6646) Historic Scottish-style golf course. Lessons and golf packages. Tee times required.
- New Paltz Golf Course (215 Huguenot Street, New Paltz, NY 12561, 845-255-8282) Challenging 9-hole, par-36 golf course with a combination of length, water hazards, natural marshes and trees.
- Rondout Golf Club (10 Bank Street, Accord, NY 12404, 845-626-2513) Breathtaking views, 3 1/2-rated 18-hole golf course. Sunrise – sunset. Golf lessons and group packages available. Full menu restaurant and bar.
- The Shawangunk Country Club (38 Country Club Road, Ellenville, NY 12428, 845-647-6090) A well-conditioned, nine-hole course, with spectacular views of the Shawangunk Mountain region.
- Stone Dock Golf Club (12 Stone Dock Road, High Falls, NY 12440, 845-687-7107) Competitive course with breathtaking scenery, complemented by friendly people and the Tapp Inn with full bar.
- The Lazy Swan Golf & Country Club Village (1754 Old Kings Highway, Saugerties, NY 12477, 845-247-0075) A 18-hole championship caliber golf course for a unique golf experience with incredible views of the Catskill Mountains.
- Turtle Creek Golf Course at Garden Cathay (219 Plattekill Ardonia Road, Plattekill, NY 12568,845-564-3220) A 9-hole, public golf course with picturesque views and interesting golf challenges.
Photo: New Paltz Golf Course, New Paltz, NY